Sunday, May 1, 2016

APs are Upon Us!

Disclaimer: If this post seems a little weird and rambling with poor grammar, it's because I'm sleep deprived after studying for so long.

I'm currently taking a break from reviewing for my Psychology AP to type up this blog post. AP week is here! An entire semester (or year) of preparing has come to this moment. A lot is resting on our adolescent shoulders, and the stress can certainly pile up. This post is dedicated to motivation and stress relief and all that good stuff!
This is me right now but
with purple hair
This year, I'm taking 5 AP exams: Psychology, English Literature & Composition, U.S. History, English Language & Composition, and Human Geography. I'm pretty nervous about... all of them. I haven't even started studying for Human Geography (since the exam is May 13, I plan on starting May 6). Last year I took 4 exams; thus, I can get a 3 on one of the exams this year and still get National AP Scholar. A lot is resting on my slim shoulders (approximately $830 and a lot of high expectations). It's safe to say I am so stressed that I don't even feel stressed anymore. Who cares if I fail? At least I tried.

BUT THAT'S THE THING! You, my reader, whom I assume is preparing for AP exams at this time, have tried very hard. Your effort makes a huge difference, no matter what score you get -- as long as you put in all the effort you can while still caring for your health, you are a successful person in my book. If you get a 2 on your exam, it may be devastating to you and your family, but it is NOT the end of the world. Life goes on! We have not even gone through one-fourth of our long, wonderful lives. When you're fifty years old and working a stable job with your kids (and maybe grandkids) surrounding you with love, you're gonna regret ever wasting so much time and effort on school. I'm not saying you should drop all your AP exams and go out to skateboard and do drugs, but I do believe that high school is more than just studying. My fellow classmates and I spend so much time on school work that we forget to live! Devote your time and effort to studying for now, but don't forget that you and your health are important. After AP exams, go watch a movie or something. Lord knows we need it. Don't let all these expectations get to your head. Don't base your worth as an intelligent, capable person on any numerical scores. You are a wonderful, capable student whether you get all 5s or all 1s.

If my rant wasn't helpful in relieving stress, here are some more techniques to help cope with stress. Basically, take breaks whenever needed, treat your body right (sleep and eat healthily), and most importantly, find good friends to help support you! Without my friends, I would be drowning in the stress that I am currently able to manage. Your friends should build you up instead of burden you -- this means that, when you make a joke about how you're going to kill yourself to avoid taking your Chemistry AP (I know we've all made jokes like these before), your friend will tell you that things will be okay and offer support instead of saying, "Same." Trust me, in the long run, these friends will be extremely helpful with self esteem and stress and all the nasty things life throws at you.

Parks and Recreation, anyone?
I love this show so much
#treatyoself ! it's a good philosophy
Life is hard, but we can get through it! One step at a time, one exam at a time, we will soon be free of these burdens and off to college. For now, focus on studying. Motivate yourself with food like ice cream. Be sure to get plenty of rest. Everything will be okay. Don't run yourself into the ground! You may want perfect scores, but your mental and physical health are much more important! Once APs are all done, take yourself and some friends out to eat some food or watch a movie! You all deserve a treat after all the hard work you put into this. And then... after that, guess what? Only 3 weeks until SUMMER BREAK! :)

Links in this post
Stress management tips - http://www.helpguide.org/articles/stress/stress-management.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment