Friday, April 1, 2016

Am I Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?

Welcome everyone (or just Ms. Halfen) to the first post on my blog!

THE TEST
Today, I took an IQ test at home while my parents watched Vikings (I didn't do this in class because I was busy messing with the template and layout of my blog - I hope the fish-feeding gadget is enticing and interesting, for it took me an entire class period to get it right. I slightly regret taking this test in such a loud environment, but I don't think it detracted from my score). Ah yes, my score. A 163! HAHA Happy April Fool's! I'm not that smart. My score was a 127 - not too bad! Since I'm 17, this means my mental age is about 21.6 years old. Here's the proof:
Not a genius yet above average!
It turns out I am smarter than a(n average) fifth grader! (I'm definitely not smarter than the geniuses on the show). No spoilers, but I thought that most of the questions were based on logic and reasoning alone, which many reputed psychologists and I believe is only a small portion of what makes up human intelligence. Real, thorough IQ tests are most definitely more detailed and inclusive in order to account for all aspects of our intelligence (creativity, adaptability, etc.). I'm not complaining though - this score is higher than my dad's (supposed) IQ that he bragged about when I was young. Despite the inaccuracy of the test (and despite my actual genius friend Arman telling me online tests are complete trash, my words not his), I'm proud to say I got a 127 and hope to never take a real IQ test, which would truly stress me out. One last thing before I move on: I feel like I could've done better if I were younger! I am nearing adulthood, and the growth and development of my intelligence has probably already peaked. Thus, I feel like I'm just a bit too old to get accurate results... Or maybe I'm just trying to make excuses so that I can feel smarter. Either way, the key is to remember that this IQ test will not define your intelligence nor your worth as a human :)

MOZART - HOW DID HE DO IT?
Ever since I first heard of the Mozart effect, I have wondered: was Mozart an alien? Or a time-traveling genius from the future stuck in the mid-1700s? How come his classical music boosts our intelligence; did he have some access to the inner workings of our brain that gave him some secret combination of pitched sound waves to enhance its performance? Because not all classical music has the same effect! Sadly, I don't have the answers to these questions, but I'll admit - during this IQ test, I listened to a six hour long YouTube video of Mozart's music. Before you accuse me of cheating my way into a 127, hear me out. You think this music totally makes you smarter, right? WRONG... kind of. 
Mozart shortly after time-traveling to the 1700s
The truth is that "[a]ny gained... intelligence lasts for only 10-15 minutes and no other noise should be heard while Mozart is being played in order to ensure the brain's capacity to infuse the music," yet all I heard over my music was the sound of (most likely historically inaccurate) Vikings slaughtering each other (citation: this Hot Topic). Sadly, yet equitably to my peers, Mozart's melodies were ineffective regarding my performance on an IQ test. Many parents who also heard of the Mozart effect make their children listen to this classical music, but as stated earlier, the effects last no longer than a quarter of an hour (on 12 year olds and undergraduates; testing on infants is nonexistent). Sorry, mom and dad!
What is enhanced, however, is spatial intelligence (not general intelligence, as many believe): this means that, the next time you're folding and cutting paper, Mozart is your man! This specific aspect of spatial intelligence is the only one that has been tested in research; anything else is rather ambiguous (plus, differences in gender/race/socioeconomic status/etc. haven't been factored in), meaning that this research has limited legitimacy.
In spite of this, I've read somewhere that classical music (or foreign music) is better than music with lyrics for studying/homework - the words can distract you from your main task. On that account, I encourage you to listen to Mozart anyway, even if it can't help you be smarter than a fifth grader.

Links in this post:
IQ Test - http://www.queendom.com/tests/access_page/index.htm?idRegTest=3108
Mozart's Music - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2LM3ZlcDnk
Mozart Effect Hot Topic - http://www.intelltheory.com/mozarteffect.shtml

1 comment:

  1. You're definitely too old for this test to be accurate. 127 IQ but not that smart. Please

    ReplyDelete